Join Our Team!
Thank you for your interest in Boston Harbor Now. We are an intentionally diverse workplace. We recognize that people bring their personal histories to work and that we make better decisions when we include a wide range of experiences and opinions.
Below are the current position(s) open at the organization:
- Major Gifts Officer
Major Gifts Officer
As a senior member of the Boston Harbor Now Institutional Advancement Team, the Major Gifts Officer will secure outright, multi-year and planned gift commitments from individual donors at the level of $25,000 and more. In addition, the Major Gifts Officer works closely with the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, President & CEO, advancement colleagues, and Board and volunteer leadership to achieve the goals of the philanthropy program in support of Boston Harbor Now.
The ideal candidate will have seven to ten years of major and planned gift fundraising experience, demonstrated ability to work with and command the respect and confidence of donors and internal colleagues, and demonstrated experience building productive relationships.
Our team is overseen by a Vice President for Institutional Advancement, and currently includes an Associate Director for Institutional Advancement, a Manager of Special Events, and a Development Coordinator. The Major Gifts Officer will complete the team at this stage in our development and bring deep experience in working with high net worth individuals.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the identification, engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of approximately 150 major and planned gift prospects and donors. Work with Trustees and Advisors, program directors, administrators, and key volunteer leaders in these efforts
- Participate directly in the cultivation, solicitation and closure of major gifts. Develop individualized strategies through collaboration with other colleagues, program staff and volunteers. Identify new prospects and opportunities for philanthropic support as appropriate
- Research and create new prospect lists for major donor solicitations
- Prepare written briefings for all visits and related follow-up involving the President & CEO, Trustees, Advisors and VP of Institutional Advancement
- Establish strong relationships with Boston Harbor Now staff, gaining an in-depth understanding of key programs and priorities and helping to educate donors and prospective donors about philanthropic opportunities
- Minimum of seven years of fundraising experience, preferably in Greater Boston
- Proven track record of successful identification, cultivation, solicitation, and closure of major gifts ($25,000 and above), including successful closure of a minimum of six-figure and planned gifts
- Frontline gift experience developing and managing a portfolio of major and planned gift prospects
- Experience in identifying and developing prospect lists for organizations without a grateful patient or appreciative alumni population
- Integrity, sound judgment, self-confidence, maturity and a sense of perspective
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills and poise to articulate the mission and goals of the organization; excellent writing, organizational and general communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with and command the respect and confidence of trustees, donors, program staff, and administrative leadership
- In-depth knowledge of, and respect for, the moves management process and proven success in securing gifts at the leadership level
- Ability to be a self-starter and initiator, and the ability to effectively work independently and on a team
- Exhibition of a high level of energy and ability to work on many tasks/projects
- Commitment to the mission and culture of Boston Harbor Now
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and résumé as a single pdf attachment to email@example.com and include “Major Gifts Officer” in the email subject line. Letters may be addressed to Jodi Wolin, Vice President, Institutional Advancement. No phone calls please.